Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bruce's Christmas Vacation

December 20
Even before I arrived I knew the vacation was going to be good as the plane had to be de-iced twice even before we left Toronto. Then in Roatan security wanted to check my bag, it turned out they weren’t sure about the dark chocolate covered cashews, or at least that was the only thing they looked at.
Much driving and provisioning ensued, not necessarily in that order. How they expect to get up some of those streets when the snows hit I don’t know - or the rains. Banking the next day required turning off cell phones as ordered by armed guards, luckily I still don’t have a cell phone.

December 21/24
A short sail to Cayo Chochinos and my first snorkel. It is fascinating just watching the fish going about their own business. In places there are cleaning stations where larger fish get parasites removed by smaller ones. One of the animated films seems to have gotten their animation spot on.
Christmas decorations go up: icicles, snow globes (which were kinda neat) and Cheryl’s Ikea tree with the GrinchTM ornaments. We also were “forced” to watch the Grinch original. We tried to watch the Jim Carrey A Christmas Carol that I had brought down but for some reason it wouldn’t play on the DVD player. I’ll have to try at home which means I’ll have to watch a Christmas show before December 2011.
Tourtiere was excellent as usual. The banana ketchup (yes there is such a thing) was good too. Karen and my attempt at Mom’s shortbread fell short of our memories but we will try again in the future. Christmas Eve we had great appetizers’ at Lori and Hoss’ house on the hill with a great view of the bay and sunset.
December 25 Christmas Day
Santa arrived!!! Stockings are stuffed. He even wanted Cheryl to throw me off a cliff (Pirates of the Caribbean zip lines). I can finally showed Karen and Cheryl why my bags were so heavy coming down. Going home will be light by comparison.
Christmas dinner was great. Turkey cooked on a smoker basted with juices of a chicken, celery casserole, creamed spinach, ham, corn bread stuffing and other things too numerous to mention. Twelve people are there: Karen, Cheryl and I, Greg & Judy (our hosts), Lori & Hoss, & others. There was also a lot of wine (not too much I hope, if there is such a thing).
December 26 Boxing Day
We wake up to higher winds coming from precisely the wrong direction so we get everything ready for passage back to Mango Creek in Port Royal, Roatan. It was a very confusing passage (the waves not the crew) although my shins might not be the same for a while. No nausea but I wasn’t allowed below decks due to an incident on our passage out.

December 26 to 28
Some great snorkelling : a whole herd of jellyfish, lion fish and some amazing colours. A great dinner ashore at Mango Creek. Lobster/shrimp, key lime pie and chocolate cake.
December 29-Jan 1
An uneventful passage to French Harbour and we are back where the sailing adventure started!! Cheryl acted on the promise to throw me off a cliff. Actually I jumped, we were so high up it didn’t seem that bad an idea until the last zip. At the start you could see both sides of the island (sorry Isla).
Before the celebrations Jamie’s boat developed hydraulic steering problems and then engine problems. It was nice to see everyone pitching in to help out a fellow sailor. As a result of this we had to dingy in for shopping but I then got the adventure of being driven in a panel van back to Fantasy Island.
New Year’s celebration itself was disappointing but I don’t think I would have been able to stay up anyway as I had missed both my morning and afternoon naps!! The food was great – crab, shrimp etc. Due to rough seas we changed on shore into our good dud’s and stowed the wet stuff.
January 2
Getting ready to go into West Bay for supper at the Argentine restaurant but first I am being forced to write this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment